b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eden
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:04:53 -0700

On 15/06/2004 06:55, Jack Kilmon wrote:

-----
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
Cc: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 4:47 AM

On 14/06/2004 22:19, Karl Randolph wrote:

Dear Peter:

Now that you bring in science……

This is not a claim that ”creation science“ is science. It is not science

for the same reasons evolution is not science.

I agree with you, more or less. Certainly evolution in terms of
mechanisms is no more scientific than creationism because both are based
on unfalsifiable speculation.

Again, as a scientist AND a Semitist, I will resist the temptation to
address ignorance of science in a forum designed for the discussion of
linguistics. I will only correct the error....the Theory of Evolution is
indeed falsifiable, otherwise it would not be elevated to the level of
certainity of a theory. It is just that after 150 years of collective FACTS
that the theory explains, not ONE has YET falsified it. ...

Maybe. Maybe it is still called a theory, rather than a fact (at least by careful scientists), because it has not yet been verified. Anyway, I deliberately restricted my comments to the *mechanisms* of evolution. In 150 years no one as far as I know has put forward plausible *mechanisms* by which random mutations can produce the complex and beneficial structures which natural selection can favour. Correct me if I am wrong, off list.

... Hopefully, y'all
know a LOT more about Hebrew than you do science. Let's stick with the
Hebrew.

Agreed.

--
Peter Kirk