b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, "Robert K Brumbelow" <lomeint5 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eden
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:24:33 -0500

You guys are familiar with the northern Syrian versions of the flood story,
such as that at Ugarit, right? They are more similar to the Biblical flood
story than are teh Mesopotamian versions. There was extensive discussion on
the AncientBibleHistory list.

I recorded and I think also found an online transcription of a recent TV
show tha I recently saw for the second time, that makes a good case for
believing that the story is actually based on the experiences of a king of a
Mesopotamian city who worked as a river merchant, with a rare extreme summer
river flood. Storm swept the man and his family with his large load of
animals, wine and produce out to sea, he was ruined, and forced to settle on
some place on the Mediterranean!

In any case, the only evidence for worldwide flooding can be pinned down
within no fewer than a few thousand years. Tehre was a time for several
thousand years after the end of the last ice age when there was alot of
extensive flooding worldwide, as sea levels rose. There is extensive
evidence that some of it flooded the I think Black Sea, and drowned out much
of an ancient agricultural land there. These events ended not long before
the beginnings of recorded memory (in myths written down when people began
to write).

Flood story as told in the Bible is not only shaped into the Deuteronomistic
ideological framework, but so stylized that it is hard to know what even the
version that these writers had originally looked like! It must have taken
some distortion of what they had to work with to produce such close
parallels between the creation account and the flood story, with the ruach
and the firmament and all that.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas