b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "Noam Eitan" <bhebrew AT yahoo.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:00:37 +1000

Hi Noam!

Aspect is basically about the speaker's perspective (ie, aspect) of the
action. It takes in more information that just tense (timing). One way to put
it is how the action is positioned in relation to the speaker. It allows you
to answer the following questions:

- When did the action occur?
- Does the speaker convey a detailed or non-detailed view of the action?
- Does the speaker consider the action to be a background action or a
foreground action?

You might like to think of aspect as providing you with a 'camera angle' on
the actions, not just a chronology of them.

I hope that makes some sense.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages