b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:53:00 -0400

I should make a correction to my "summary" of Comrie, to prevent anyone from
making the equation progressive=imperfective. Comrie does not actually
mention Progression as part of the definition of aspect. On page 7, Comrie
does indicate that the progressive/non-progressive opposition is comparable
to the imperfective/perfective opposition in English, but only in nonstative
verbs used without habitual meaning. So the phrase "in other words, an event
in progress" is an oversimplification on my part.

Ken Penner
McMaster/Hebrew