b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 18:22:18 +1000

Hi Chris!

As you've picked up, the WAW CONSECUTIVE is a very prickly subject in
Biblical Hebrew. The problems do not all come down to the WAW CONSECUTIVE,
though -- there are other peripheral issues involved.

Essentially, let me outline the old school of thought, and then outline some
new currents.

OLD SCHOOL
There are two basic tenses: Perfect (completed action) and Imperfect
(uncompleted action). The WAW CONSECUTIVE attached to a verb inverts the
tense (hence it is often called the waw-conversive: it gives you the converse
tense). Hence, WAW + PATAH + IMPERFECT = past tense; WAW + SHEWA + PERFECT =
future tense.

NEW CURRENTS
Scholars are beginning to realise that there are many problems with the old
school approach. For example, it does not explain why III-Heh verbs suddenly
lose the III-Heh when a waw-consecutive is attached, and why the accent
changes. It also doesn't explain why some WAW + SHEWA + PERFECT constructions
do not indicate future tense.

I believe that what we have is not the imperfect with a waw-consecutive at
all. Rather, we need to recognise a totally new 'tense' or verbal
conjugation, known as the Preterite (past tense). This means that the
WAW-CONSECUTIVE is not inverting the tense of the verb at all. Rather, the
past tense is part of the meaning of the Preterite verb. This explains the
shorter form and differing accent when compared with the normal imperfect.
(C. L. Seow, in his second edition Hebrew Grammar acknowledges the
Pretetrite, but is still sufficiently entrenched in the Old School that he
does not pursue its leads.)

The WAW-CONSECUTIVE is, however, playing a certain syntactical role, namely
adding momentum to a narrative text -- advancing the plot-line -- kind of
like a camera moving during a scene.

That is a very simplistic explanation of some complex issues. There is far
more that needs to be said. Rolf Furuli will also give you a new view that
has departed from the old school of thought. It's similar to my explanation
here, but differs at certain points. You might like to get him to explain it
in a short form. I'm sure some monographs and articles will be written on it
in the near future, and you will see a shift occur in the Hebrew Grammar
books that are produced. I certainly look forward to seeing the deficiencies
of the old old system overcome with more watertight grammars.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Fellow Chairman, B-Hebrew Forum