b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:00:33 +1000

Hi Chris!
George, I was going to ask exactly the same question that Noam asked, and
the reason being was this:------- Preterite is a simple past tense form that
is not marked for aspect ------.

Based upon the meaning of 'aspect' I find this definition of preterite
somewhat confusing. Regards Chris.

I guess I would disagree with that definition.

Also, there is more to aspect than what I mentioned. It is a little
complicated to explain, and I am still working on ways to convey it to
beginning students. It's a prickly one.

Does anyone else have any good simple explanation of aspect?

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages
Southern Cross College