b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect? Psalm 107

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect? Psalm 107
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 06:15:47 -0700

On 24/05/2004 15:31, Jack Kilmon wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 9:19 AM

Dear Rolf,

Can you please satisfy my curiosity? I was under impression that our
knowledge of the Phoenician is basically speculative, based just on

several

hundred entries, certainly not something to base a theory on. Was there

any

advance I'm not aware of?

The Phoenicean language (Punic) was still spoken in the 5th century.
Augustine was facile in it. The Canaanite languages, including Phoenician,
descended from Ugaritic. Phoenician spawned Punic, Moabite, Edomite, Hebrew
and Ammonite. A bibliography of Phoenician dictionaries and grammar can be
found at:

http://www.lib.washington.edu/neareast/phoenlang.html

Jack

These languages all had a common ancestor, true. But no one of them is clearly older than any of the others, except perhaps for Ugaritic. There was a common ancestor, proto-Canaanite or something similar, and all of these attested languages are its descendants, the leaves on a tree but not its trunk.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)