b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:53:18 -0500

Dear Liz,

> 2) The form )eT that appears twice in Isa 53:9 is the normal form for
the preposition "with" when it is preceded by a maqqeph. See
Brown-Driver-Briggs lexicon under the preposition )eT, where that is
> the first fact given about the word.

Yes, but why then does that not come across in the Greek?
They have no preposition "with" and they put "wicked" in
the accusative. But it is impossible to read this way.
My teachers taught me to read the consonantal text when there's
a problem anyway.

HH: I don't think the LXX translators did a good job on the first line of Isa 53:9. They seem to have been influenced by ideas in Isaiah 43:3, trying to give a substitutionary idea to "grave" like that for Egypt and Seba as a ransom and replacement:

Is. 43:3 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your stead.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Best,
Liz Fried