b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:34:28 -0500

Dear Liz,

Sorry. I read the list of examples, I did not read your comments.
I don't agree that there is such a thing as an "intensive" plural
with nouns. I think the preferred reading is bamotav, his
sepulcher, or emend the text to the singular.
You object to emending the text, yet you willingly emend
)et to )it, with. The Greek puts "the wicked" in the
accusative case. The Greek has "He will give the wicked instead
of his grave." I agree with Vadim that the Hebrew is past tense,
but I don't know how to put "the wicked" in the accusative.
He put the wicked (in) his grave?

HH: 1) "Intensive plural" is not only a category of nouns recognized by older and still honored grammarians such as Gesenius, but also of current ones like Waltke and O'Connor. See Biblical Hebrew Syntax 7.4.3 and 14.2c.

2) The form )eT that appears twice in Isa 53:9 is the normal form for the preposition "with" when it is preceded by a maqqeph. See Brown-Driver-Briggs lexicon under the preposition )eT, where that is the first fact given about the word.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard