b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Lev. 25:34

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Lev. 25:34
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:14:58 -0400

Unfortunately I am relying solely on memory as I type, not having
Breuer's Mossad HaRav Kook Tanakh before me. So, please read with care.
I believe it has been stated (perhaps also in Breuer's essay in that
Tanakh) that the difference in the use of the Shewa and the Hataph-Patah is
attributable to the particular notation system from which the text/codex
derives and that the Hataph-Patah in one system was pronounced as the Shewa
in the other system (and as is generally done now). If I remember
correctly, one of the "changes" that Breuer made in his Tanakh was to change
Hataph-Patah to Shewa because that is in accordance with the notation system
now in use, the other system having been "discarded".
I also believe that one can see the remains of the old system in some
Siddurim that have a Hataph-Patah under the Resh in Borekhu in the morning
and evening prayers (and before the prayer for the Torah reading), while
other Siddurim have the Shewa. In both cases, I have been informed, the
sound should be that of the Shewa Na.
Joseph I. Lauer
Brooklyn, New York