b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lev. 25:34

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lev. 25:34
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:49:29 -0500

Dear Yigal and Uri,

One guess, would be that this is simply a scribal error of vocalization. A different error is conceivable: the peculiar hataf patach here masks another now vanished word instead of Sadeh.

In most primts that I've seen, the second letter (Sin) of the first word of Lev. 25:34, "usedeh" is vocalized with a Hataph-Patah; in Brauer and BHS it has a Shewa. Any guesses about the source of the unusual spelling?

HH: I don't see why it is unusual. It is the normal construct form of the noun (cf. Gen 14:7). Would the prefixed conjunction change that? I don't think so. See a similar form but in the plural at 2 Sam 1:21 (cf. also Neh 5:5; 11:30).

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Yigal