b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "Justice" in hebraic thinking

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "Justice" in hebraic thinking
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:25:52 +0200

Hello all, I would like peoples' comments please on the following:

The word TSaDaK (justice) is never used in a negative way unlike in western
thinking; by this I mean that we would say that justice is done when the
guilty are punished. But in hebrew I can only find Justice being used to
"Aquit the Innocent". My immediate thinking was that i was simply being
pedantically ridiculous, but this concept of never applying the word
"Justice" to the enacment of a sentence against the guilty does have wider
implications - biblically speaking. When I consider the opposites to this
word I do not find the idea of "injustice" but rather more descriptive words
such as moral distortion, perverse and iniquity. Obvious I know, for this
lies at the heart of injustice; as I said comments and rejections are
appreciated. Chris.