b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lev. 25:34

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lev. 25:34
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 22:18:25 +0200

Dear Harold,

Since (i assume) you're using BHS, you can't see it: the spelling of all of
these with a Shewa is the "normal" construct form. My question was about the
"abnormal" spelling with Hataph-Patah which apears in some prints, but NOT
in BHS. Shai has informed me that this is based on the 1524 Venice edition,
which still does not explain the reason. It apparently has to do with a
no-longer current tradition of using the Hataph-Patah as a "long" Shewa.

Yigal