b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: variant pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: variant pronunciation
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

A brief addendum to what Yigal wrote. Many years ago I asked Irena Garbel
which of the various contemporary Heb. pronounciations came closest to that
of biblical times. (the good point discussed bellow that there couldn't have
been a single one for "biblical times" didn't come up). She said: the
Yemenite is the closest. I remember her estimate was "97% similarity ".By
Yemenite she meant the way it was in Yemen prior to the influence of modern
Israeli environment. Intrestingly, to give just one example: Qamatz gadol
they pronounced O similarly to the Ashkenazi way.

Uri

Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
Dora and all,

We would do well to remember that there is no such thing as a "correct"
pronunciation - not of modern languages and certainly not of ancient ones.
There are only traditions, shared by the users of a language, which enable
them to comprehend each other. Is the pronunciation of Latin used by the
Catholic Church less "correct" than the scholarly reconstructions of the way
Caesar would have pronounced the language. Does anyone really think, that in
the ancient world, with its lack of mass-communications, any language was
spoken in the same way in any large area? Was Old Babylonian Akkadian
pronounced the same as Neo-Assyrian? (Of course not: That's why "Sharru-kin"
is spelled "Sargon" in the Bible - the Hebrew scribe recorded what he heard
the Assyrians say.) Or that 10th century Ephraimites pronounced their Hebrew
the same as 6th century Judahites? There was no single "correct"
pronunciation in ancient Israel. To a large extent, the Bible has a
standardized "Judahite" spelling, but as to how things were pronounced, who
can tell? After their dispersion, Jews in different parts of the world took
on linguistic traits of their neighbors. The Masoretes preserved one
particular version, but not the only one. Jews in different parts of the
world had difficulty understanding each others' spoken Hebrew, but since
most communication was written, this was no problem. Not just Ashkenazi and
Sephardi communities, but even within those - Polish, Lithuanian, German and
French Jews had different traditions, in many cases fully believing that
their tradition represented the same accent God used when He said "Yehi Or".
Many of these traditions have been lost due to the events of the 20th
century - mass migrations of Jews on one hand and the destruction of many
Jewish communities on the other (worth remembering as the Jewish world
observes Holocaust Remembrance Day this week). The modern Israeli
pronunciation is, to a large degree, an artificial reconstruction, based on
elements of the traditional Sephardi pronunciation that the Ashkenazi elite
of the early 20th century was willing to accept. Reform, Conservative and
some Orthodox Jews abroad have adopted this pronunciation - other Orthodox
communities have stuck to their traditions. Who of us can say that one is
"correct" and the other is not?
On the other hand, the academic pronunciation used by modern scholars - and
that most of y'all on this list were taught - is just as much a
reconstruction, made mostly by people who had no interest in hw Hebrew was
actually used by the people who actually used it! As one of professors once
said, should he start calling himself Dawidh instead of Dahvid, just because
someone theorized that that's how a theoretical King David would have
pronounced it?

Yigal