b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Draft proposal for Unicode encoding ofholam male

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <jnothman AT student.usyd.edu.au>, "hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Draft proposal for Unicode encoding ofholam male
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:35:47 -0500

Those dots start flying all over the place, I only get confused.

I never met accent marks in Biblical Hebrew, either.

Did y'all know that (according to exactly half of my resources) undotted
dalet is pronounced "th" like the Welsh dd? I didn't know this sound
existed in Hebrew!

And how many of y'all knew that vav is pronounced "w"? Again according to
exactly half my sources - sometimes. Though that atleast makes enough sense
that I already suspected that it may ahve once been true. It makes sense
out of "Yahweh" for YHWH when everyone else pronounced it "Yah", "Yaw" or
"Yahu". V - W shifts are pretty common ze vorld over.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com