b-hebrew - RE: variant pronunciation (was Re: [b-hebrew] Draft proposal for Unicodeencoding ofholam male)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: variant pronunciation (was Re: [b-hebrew] Draft proposal for Unicodeencoding ofholam male)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:25:18 +1000

The same issues are also addressed when modern languages need to be
standardised. While most European languages went through this process
centuries ago, others - like Irish, Gaelic, Welsh, Frisian - are still in
the process. The advice given to me by my Irish teacher seems to me to work
well for Hebrew and Classical/NT Greek as well: choose a system that appeals
to you and follow it consistently. Then you can get on with learning while
others spend their time arguing the merits of a particular pronunciation. I
enjoy the study of dialects and the history of the language, but it doesn't
help with learning the language as much as spending the time actually
studying does.

Kevin Riley