b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:49:18 -0700

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 04:45, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 29/03/2004 12:40, Bill Rea wrote:
> >Petere wrote:-
> >
> >>As there are plenty of free e-mail clients now available which do
> >>support Hebrew, I think it is reasonable to ask those interested in
> >>Hebrew to install one. After all, if one is really interested in a
> >>subject one needs to acquire the basic tools for that subject.
> >
> >Can you point me to a free email client which does the following:-
> >
> >Runs on Solaris/SPARC
> >Allows me to set a reply-to address
> >Runs as an IMAP client to a Microsoft Exchange server (it would
> > be nice if it could use Microsoft's proprietary protocol but
> > that's not essential)
> >Displays Hebrew
> >Will work over a dail-up line on a VT-100 or other compatible terminal
> > emulator
>
> Easy: Mozilla 1.6, with the contributed builds listed at
> http://www.mozilla.org/releases/#1.6. I'm not sure about the last
> requirement, but that's an internal matter for the Solaris system.

The last requirement is the one that I was talking about, because the VT100
emulation is text-only and pretty well limited to ASCII, so that leaves out a
GUI application such as Mozilla. We have now heard from at least 3 list
members who are in a similar situation. This was my point to Dora: the
spectrum of users here is so diverse that we have to use a system that
everyone can read. Hence the transliteration thing. As my dad used to say,
'tain't right, but it's so. In an ideal world we would all have graphical,
Unicode-based mail clients. It ain't an ideal world...

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur