b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 22 fragment: "my son"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 22 fragment: "my son"?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:40:27 -0500

Dave Washburn makes a good point here. The yod is clearly visible and
disticnt from the vav/waw in "ben'. I was wondering is this the opening of
Gen 22 where God commands Abraham to take Isaac and offer him up? If so,
would it not be odd to have the word son attached with a 3rd person masc
sing pronomial suffix? Would it not be a 2nd person masc sing pronomial
suffix using a final 'caph'? Moreover the verb "to take" would be in the
imperative would it not?

Tony Costa