b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 22 fragment: "my son"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: g-megillot AT McMaster.ca
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 22 fragment: "my son"?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:07:03 -0700

On Thursday 18 March 2004 04:59, Stephen Goranson wrote:
> Apparently, here is a photograph of a Genesis 22 fragment, said to be from
> Qumran, that is mentioned in a recent news article:
>
> http://www.deadseaexhibit.com/downloads/Press_Images/Genesis_Frag-hi.jpg
>
> This was mentioned in 13 Sept 2003 Star Telegram:
>
> http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/religion/6753955.htm
>
> According to the 18 March 2004 Akron Beacon Journal
>
> http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/8215027.htm
>
> Hanan Eshel proposes that Abraham is told here not to take Isaac "your son"
> but Isaac "my son."
>
> That reading has been questioned, as has the proposed association of this
> fragment with 4Q252.

I would hope the reading has been questioned! Looking at the line above it,
there's a clear distinction between the yod there in )LHYM and the key letter
at the end of the word BN. The yod's size is quite distinctive, and I don't
see how anybody could read the letter in the next line as anything but a vav,
i.e. "his son."

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur