b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 22 fragment: "my son"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Goranson <goranson AT duke.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 22 fragment: "my son"?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:59:32 -0500

Apparently, here is a photograph of a Genesis 22 fragment, said to be from
Qumran, that is mentioned in a recent news article:

http://www.deadseaexhibit.com/downloads/Press_Images/Genesis_Frag-hi.jpg

This was mentioned in 13 Sept 2003 Star Telegram:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/religion/6753955.htm

According to the 18 March 2004 Akron Beacon Journal

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/8215027.htm

Hanan Eshel proposes that Abraham is told here not to take Isaac "your son"
but Isaac "my son."

That reading has been questioned, as has the proposed association of this
fragment with 4Q252.

best,
Stephen Goranson

P.S. A related news article concerns financial disputes aamong the fragment
exhbitors.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/8212995.htm