b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:19:17 +0100

Dear Charles,

See my comments below.

Rolf asserts that "In principle a single contra-example is enough to falsify
a claim."

Which "claim" are you trying to falisfy, Rolf? All the standard BH textbooks
carefully limit claims for the Imperfect with "Waw Consecutive" [Gesenius'
terminology, for example] using such phrases as "most frequently," "as a
rule," "some," "sometimes," etc. I don't understand what you are trying to
accomplish in denying that in the majority of cases a vayyiqtol is indeed a
sequential marker of a past or perfected action in a narrative. Finding a
few non-sequential examples does little to shake the standard understanding
of vayyiqtol as a narrative sequencer, essentially offering a green light to
the reader, i.e., telling us not to switch sequences in mid sentence or
paragraph.

My approach to Hebrew is one of a scrupulous distinction between semantic and pragmatic factors. If you read Mari Broman Olsen you will see what that means. The question from the mentioned point of view is not whether WAYYIQTOL often is a narrative sequencer - it truly is - but whether a new R-time (as this expression is used by G. Hatav) is a SEMANTIC part of the WAYYIQTOL form. I agree with the pragmatic information that you take from the textbooks.

Nor do I understand the beating you and Karl give the poor Massoretes.

[a] Karl, in ignoring the Massoretic "points," do you imply that you also
refuse to read all other commentaries on the text? No one claims that the
Massoretes are the final word in every single case, and they themselves
append countless notes to explain why they put in a form which they believe
they have inherited from tradition but with which they disagree. But they
are surely one credible source of comment on the text, non! And even in
reading a consonantal text only, if you use a single final HE or internal
YOD or VAV to mark a vowel, you are reading some of the results of
Massoretic involvement with the text.

I did not write the above paragraph.

This leads to [b], Rolf. Since the Massoretes were not shy about sharing
their disagreement with a spelling that they nonetheless continued in the
body of the text, why do you think they so doggedly made a pointing
distinction between vayyiqtol and veyiqtol? Does not the evidence of [a]
indicate that they would NOT feel free to introduce a new concept willy
nilly?

The Masoretes did not, as I see it, introduce any new concepts. They tried to translate what they heard in the synagogue as faithfully as the could, and they would not dream of introducing anything new semantically speaking. Therefore I do not think that the distinction they made between WAYYIQTOL and WEYIQTOL is semantic any more than the gemination after the article and non-gemination after the interrogative particle H is semantic. But later grammarians took the mentioned verb distinction as Semantics, and the four conjugations were born.

And does it not follow that the disctinction between vayyiqtol and
veyiqtol predates the earliest MT copies we have?

If you give me examples of such a distinction from pre-Masoretic time I will use them in my thesis. I am not aware of any such.

Maybe I should ask this:
What do you GAIN in terms of exegetical knowledge with your understanding of
vayyiqtol? I don't think you have accomplished a great deal by attacking a
theory as if it is taught as an absolute when it is not, at least in my
experience. Nor do I see the benefit in replacing one nuanced definition
with your rather absolute sounding one using only a small percentage of the
available data. If I have missed the point of all these exchanges between
Peter and you, I apologize. But I fail to see how your theory either
accounts for the data [i.e., WHY the Massoretic pointing disctinction?] or
advances the ball closer to the goal of our understanding of a classical
text.

I have worked with questions related to Bible translation for many years, and I have also translated works from different Semitic languages into Norwegian; so I am very sensitive for translation issues. By studying different Bible translations, the scholar will see that the translators are heavily influenced by the traditional views of the Hebrew verbs, which in a way serves as a straitjacket. I will estimate that if the model of my thesis was used instead of the traditional one, that would necessitate a change in the English tenses of more than ten thousand verbs, and many, many other changes would be necessary as well. So our view of verbs does have consequences.

[c] Again, Rolf, of the examples you cite, many are simple idioms that need
not be carved up in any sequential fashion. Biblical characters always
"lifted up their eyes" before they "saw," "lifted their voice" before they
"wept," and so on. Jacob even "lifted up his feet and went" in Gen 29.1,
and one is hard pressed to imagine him walking without ever lifting up his
feet.

Charles

Best regards

Rolf