b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] War machines and missiles in 2 chronicles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] War machines and missiles in 2 chronicles
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 23:45:40 -0500

But Peter:

Here is a case where the root has the meaning of sending out, and the context
is that of weaponry, putting two
and two together we get four, i.e. this is weaponry that is sent out, namely
projectiles (or missiles). The concept
of projectiles also fits the context. To use the generalized term "weapon",
though technically correct, is a tad
misleading.

When trying to learn a language, it is harder to learn vocabulary when all
synonyms are given the same
definition. For example, there are about a dozen synonyms for RAH to look,
see, in Tanakh. If all are defined
with the generalized term "to look, see", how is the student to keep them
straight? But if $ZP is defined as to
glimpse for a moment, $QP as to look down from a height to a lower place, and
so forth, it is not only easier to
learn, but it brings out the meaning better.

Then there are terms that often have a moral meaning, but actually have a
different root meaning. Among those
are X+) [chet tet alep] which is usually translated as sinning, but there are
a few times where its root meaning of
to err, miss the mark aimed at is the better translation (almost the exact
same meaning as hamartanein in New
Testament Greek). Similarly, R( has the root meaning of being displeased, not
evil. I doubt the purchaser was
saying "evil evil" in Proverbs 20:14, but it does make sense when he says he
is displeased.

True, there are some terms whose definitions have been almost totally
forgotten, others where we have only
clues towards a definition, but I think it is better to indicate the more
specific definition that the context and roots
point to, than just to give a generalized definition. And if we are not sure,
admit, at least in lexicons and to
students of B-Hebrew, that we are not sure, but this is what we think the
meaning is.

I agree with you that we should not be more specific than our understanding,
but at the same time, it is not good
to be more general than our understanding either.

Karl W. Randolph.