b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] War machines and missiles in 2 chronicles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] War machines and missiles in 2 chronicles
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 15:41:43 -0800

On 05/03/2004 15:18, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

I think we have to find ways of effective communication to the modern
audience. What about the mention of tables, lamps, torches etc.

I replied,"That's not a good comparison. Tables have not changed that much
from ancient Israel. But there were no rockets or explosives back then."

But lamps and torches have. (Remember that British and probably Kenyan English "torch" = American "flashlight".) So Chemorion does have a point, there are things mentioned in Bible translations which are probably very different in form from what the average reader understands them to be, although similar in function. Even so, I suspect that "missiles" is going too far.

So it seems an issue of what the Kenyan readers would think of. If they
know basic English, the word "missile" might only be familiar to them as a
term in the newspapers for advanced weapons. That would give an
anachronistic idea to the Bible reader. "Missiles" in its meaning as simply
something sent through the air, usually to strike a target, is less
commonly known. Projectiles might be an alternative if you wanted to stress
the idea of airborne weapons. But if the more general word "weapons" is
sufficient for the NIV, then it would probably work for Chemorion as well.
"Weapons" is also the choice of NASB, NLT, NKJV, HCSB, and NRSV. If I
remember, there is some uncertainty about the word's exact reference.

Agreed. The uncertainty is a good reason to choose a rather generic word.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)