b-hebrew - Re: [B-Greek] Re: [b-hebrew] Understanding BHS text! (apologies for thecross-posting)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: "Steve Puluka" <spuluka AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, B-Greek AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Re: [b-hebrew] Understanding BHS text! (apologies for thecross-posting)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:21:29 +0000

At 11:41 17/12/2003, Steve Puluka wrote:

I have found this book helpfull in decoding the text. The first 70 pages
are a general introduction to how the BHS is words then follows a complete
dictionary of all the special terms used in the MP notes. There is a full
index of all passages cited in the notes as well. Most helpfull.

Kelly, Page. The Masorah of BHS: Introduction and Annotate Glossary.
Eeardmans, Grand Rapids, MI, 1998.

Yes, Steve -- I agree with your recommendation, though _after_ Yousaf tackles the more general book I recommended.

And after your recommendation, he can go to:

Yeivin, Israel. Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah. (5th. ed) Masoretic Studies, Orlinsky, Harry M. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1980.

which will, I think, tell him all he ever wanted to know on the subject <g>

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie