b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Understanding BHS text! (apologies for the cross-posting)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yousaf Sadiq <nbtp AT kastanet.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Understanding BHS text! (apologies for the cross-posting)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:09:43 -0800

On 16/12/2003 22:17, Yousaf Sadiq wrote:

Dear James,

Thanks for your reply. I asked the same question to both lists for the
following reasons:

A) I can not read Biblical Greek and have introductory knowledge of Biblical
Hebrew but I don't understand critical apparatus found in the BHS. I would
like to compare the available translations in local languages with original
languages, to find the differences and also reasons behind those
differences.

B) All of those translations are pre-critical. Such data will help to
improve the existing translations. The subject of Biblical criticism is
unfamiliar and is not taught or talked about in the local theological
institutions/seminaries.

C) I am interested in collecting such data for my personal information and
have better understanding of the text in the original languages. I like to
find what the scholars say or have written about such passages.

I hope this is helpful.

Yousaf.

Yousaf and others, you might be interested in the following, which I just received in the UBS e-publication TIC Talk, http://www.ubs-translations.org/tictalk/ubstic.html:

Distance Learning Course on Textual Criticism

The Faculty of Theology of Leiden University announces a new *Distance Learning Course on Textual History and Textual Criticism*, and provides the following description: Everyone working in the field of Bible translation will be acquainted with the problem of defining the source text of the translation: What is the textual basis for translation and interpretation of the Bible? In the case of the Old Testament: Is it the vocalized Masoretic Text, the Hebrew consonantal text, or the earliest retrievable original text, which is the result of a systematic analysis of the textual witnesses available, including the Dead Sea Scrolls and the ancient translations of the Bible? Modern Bible translations reflect different views about this question (compare for example the inclusion of a passage between 1 Sam 10 and 1 Sam 11 in the NRSV on the basis of the Qumran material). To give Bible translators and biblical scholars the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of the text critical and text historical issues of the Old Testament, the Faculty of Theology of Leiden University has taken the initiative to start a Distance Learning Course on Textual History and Textual Criticism of the Old Testament. For information see http://www.leiden.edu/index.php3?c=620 or contact the coordinator of the Distance Learning project, Dr. Wido van Peursen at mailto:w.t.van.peursen AT let.leidenuniv.nl

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)