b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:31:34 -0800

On 28/11/2003 14:12, Peter Kirk wrote:

I should add that under K)R BDB points to KWR II, and this entry, in which the As. kâru appears, is distinguished from KWR I, which is given as the root of K.UWR "smelting-pot, furnace" with an Arabic cognate with the same meaning.

An alternative suggestion: I just spotted in BDB the biblical Aramaic root KR' which means, in the ithpeal, "be distressed", and with Akkadian and Arabic as well as Syriac cognates (which are distinct from those of Hebrew KRH). I wonder if this was also a Hebrew verb, otherwise unattested, and that K'RW in Psalm 22 (just KRW in some MSS) is an error for KR'W. If the Aramaic ithpeal is "be distressed", the Hebrew qal could well be "they wounded", which fits the context. It would then be necessary to suppose that the true meaning was lost by the time LXX was translated, and that the variants are various attempts to reconstruct this as "they dug" or "like a lion".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)