b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:37:06 -0500

Dear Jason:

Yes, the question is originally yours, but Trevor added other considerations
that may have a bearing on your question.

First of all, -MW- as an infix, which is always appended to K- in Tanakh,
does not fit the pattern that you brought up. Of the verses where KMW is
found, how many of them are the same pattern of the -MW- infix with the third
person singular suffix dropped off, and how many have a different meaning?
KMW is found in about 55 verses. I haven’t investigated this question yet.

Secondly, how will removal of most the KMW examples effect my initial
impressions? I suspect it will strengthen them. This is something I expect
will take several hours to investigate. Even removing all the KMW examples
leaves over 120 verses to check.

My impression is most clearly seen in LMW in contrast to LW: whereas LW
merely means “to (for) him”, LMW seems to mean “to that very one” with
emphasis on the object. Another of my initial impressions is that the -MW
suffix refers to a plural object, such as a people. We can’t ignore the
possibility that this is poetic, though I suspect that it is more than that.
Therefore, in Deuteronomy 32:37–8, my reading would have an emphasis on
‘their’ in “their gods” and “their sacrifices” to emphasize that it is not
the true God and his prescribed sacrifices. This is a reading that may not
translate well, but seems to be there in the Hebrew language.

Karl W. Randolph.