b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Prov. 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Prov. 30:19
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:14:19 -0500

Dear Peter:

I am cognisant of that argument, but I deliberately did not mention it.

When I already question how applicable a contemporary cognate language is to
the understanding of a Biblical Hebrew word, even question the use of
Mishnaic Hebrew at times because languages change, how authoritative should I
consider a cognate language first written over a thousand years later? If
your only evidence is Arabic (which was the case at the time of Gesenius,
even BDB) when the evidence internal to Tanakh and Biblical Hebrew indicate
otherwise, it makes your argument even more presuppositionally biased and
speculative than my admittedly speculated definition I proposed for Proverbs
30:19.

Thanks for posting the LXX translation, I realized that you were the one who
posted it only after I had already posted my last missive.

Karl W. Randolph.