b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:21:32 -0500

Karl,

This question was originally mine. I would love to get a response from your
investigation. The fact is, the explanations that I received seemed
precursory and premature. I am not convinced that the endings of

):ELOH"YMOW [eloheimo]
and
C:BFX"YMOW [tz'vacheimo]

are by some sort of analogy to KMW-, as in K.FMOWKF [kamocha] or K.FMOWHW.
[kamohu]. I think it may be possible that they were lengthened from the
regular -av ending to the -eimo ending for poetic purposes, but is this seen
anywhere else? Beyond that, it would surely not be done for rhyming purposes
(for this is not how Hebrew poetry is formed), so what would be the real
function of this, given that the respective phrases are rather long?

Regards,
Jason