b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 01:32:56 -0500

Dear Jason:

The question here deals not with the nouns, but with the -MW suffix. There is
some controversy about that suffix, has anyone done a study on it?

There are at least 172 verses where words with that suffix are found. Some of
the verses have more than one occurrence of the suffix.

Things that I noticed:
• the meaning of the suffix could either be plural or singular, though
usually plural
• it occurs more often in poetry than prose, Deuteronomy 32 is poetry
• it is more often attached to a single letter prefix than to a noun or verb
e.g. KMW or LMW
• where it is plural, it usually refers to a natural group or assemblage,
such as a people, tribe
• it seems to emphasize the subject of the -MW more so than the noun or
prefix it’s appended to
• it seems to indicate that very subject, possibly a reflexive emphasis, not
a general subject

Does anyone have any corrections or additions to this?

Karl W. Randolph.

From: "Jason Hare" <jason AT hareplay.com>

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers