b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mesha Stele Transcription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mesha Stele Transcription
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:34:12 -0500

Thanks, Peter.

It was interesting reading the stone. I took the image into photoshop and
adjusted it to make it easer to read.

The Moabite language looks so similar to Hebrew that it could almost have
been called a dialect of Hebrew at that time. It looks as if the peoples
could have understood each other, sort of like modern Norwegians can
understand Swedes and visa versa. Like the “Elohim papyrus”, the plural
endings have nun where the Hebrew has mem.

Does anyone need a transcription into Aramaic square characters, or is the
image sufficient?

Karl W. Randolph.