b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Proverbs 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Proverbs 30:19
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 09:35:54 +1300 (NZDT)

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 Karl wrote:-

> You aren?t a sailor. Particularly not a commercial sailor in the days of
> sail.
>
> Naybe a ship sailed a cargo easer than schlepping it overland, but it
> was hardly easy. There was constant work to be done aboard the ship,
> watches to stand, and if the wind didn?t go right, you were expected to
> row. There was seldom an idle moment awake and sleep is often stolen.
> Then there was the danger of being caught out in a storm (I hear those
> in the Mediterranean can come up suddenly, almost without warning) and
> sunk. Once in harbor, the crew was expected to load and unload the ship.
> It doesn?t sound easy to me.

It's supposed to be the view of the writer, not the sailors. For a man
sitting on land looking at a ship going by it *looks* graceful. It may
well a lot of work for the sailors, but the poet isn't the one grinding
the winches.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury University \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'