b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ancient stone

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ancient stone
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:12:08 -0500

To All:

Here is a photograph of a stone written in what appears to be very ancient
Hebrew or very similar Semitic language. It is the top stone on this page. I
have seen photographs of this stone elsewhere in books, but this is the only
example I know of online.

http://www.viewzone.com/FTscandanavia.html

As far as I know, writing of this time was written boustrophedron and in this
particular case, reading left to right, I transliterate the following

L(QBR.Z.LHSR.H(DW.DMYT.LMRT

I think there is a missing dot between L( and QBR.

My translation reads, “A grave belittles this (music and dance) to cause to
turn aside the witness of it, you liken it to bitterness.” (reminding me of
Proverbs 14:13)

This fits into two threads we had recently, one where we question the
earliest example where a lamad hey verb is changed to a yod and why are there
words sometimes written with a final hey and sometimes without.

(As for the site where I found it, the rest of it is rather wierd, I stumbled
on it as a result of a Googlewhack. If someone knows a more reputable site
where a photograph of this stone appears, I’d rather link there than here.
The only reason I dare reference this site at all is because I have seen
photographs of this stone in books.)

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers

  • [b-hebrew] ancient stone, Karl Randolph, 10/03/2003