b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Proverbs 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Proverbs 30:19
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 14:17:58 -0500

Dear Peter:

I think you’re stretching it.

As far as I know, B- prefix stands only for “in” and “by or with in the sense
of instrumentality” e.g. “I hit him with a stick”.

If one wants to do something with someone else, as far as I know the word to
use is (M [‘im].

A third problem I have is the definition of (LMH [‘almah] meaning “virgin”.
If you refer to his action in deflowering her, she is no longer a virgin,
which brings up the question what other unpredictable action is he doing IN
her so that she is still a virgin? Both the LXX and my proposal get around
that problem by using a different definition of (LMH.

Karl W. Randolph.