b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Proverbs 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Proverbs 30:19
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:14:33 -0500

Bryan:

You aren’t a sailor. Particularly not a commercial sailor in the days of sail.

Naybe a ship sailed a cargo easer than schlepping it overland, but it was
hardly easy. There was constant work to be done aboard the ship, watches to
stand, and if the wind didn’t go right, you were expected to row. There was
seldom an idle moment awake and sleep is often stolen. Then there was the
danger of being caught out in a storm (I hear those in the Mediterranean can
come up suddenly, almost without warning) and sunk. Once in harbor, the crew
was expected to load and unload the ship. It doesn’t sound easy to me.

It sounds a little easier to me, but a snake on bare rock is struggling. He
doesn’t find the easy grips to push against that he finds in vegetation and
sand. If he miscalculates and the bare rock is high up, it can be fatal.

Of the three, only the flight of the eagle sounds easy, because soaring on
thermals and updrafts is the easiest way for a large bird to fly. Come to
think of it, it takes so much energy for a large bird like an eagle to fly
that they are not found except in places so rich in game so only short
flights are needed, or in mountains where there are many updrafts.

If I sound nitpicky, that is what I went through before suggesting (LMH could
mean “unknown” or possibly agreeing with the LXX in saying it means
“youthfulness, period before marriage”, literally, “in his virginity”.

Karl W. Randolph.