b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex YHWH-Holem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex YHWH-Holem
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:27:55 -0400

Peter,

I examined hovah [he-holem-vav-qamets-he]
at the two places it occurs in the single verse Ezekiel 7:26,
of the Leningrad Codex.

At Ezekiel 7:26 in the Leningrad Codex
the holem in hovah
[in both occurrences]
is centered between the right side of the vav
and the left side of the he.

The holem appears to be positioned exactly as it is positioned
in Yehovah
[yod-simple shewa-he-holem-vav-qamets-he]
at Genesis 3:14 in the Leningrad Codex.

However the BHS text shows the holem in hovah
and the holem in Yehovah differently,
although in the Leningrad Codex they appear to be positioned identical

At Ezekiel 7:26 in the BHS text,
the holem in hovah
[in both occurences]
is shown over the upper left edge of the he.

However at Genesis 3:14 in the BHS text
the holem in Yehovah
is shown at the top right of the vav.

In all three cases the vav has a qamets under it.

Is there any reason why the BHS text might treat
the holem in Yehovah
and
the holem in hovah differently?

Dave Donnelly