b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex YHWH-Holem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jason Hare <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex YHWH-Holem
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 02:46:14 -0700

On 25/09/2003 11:41, Jason Hare wrote:

All I can say about this is YES! I feel like I'm venting a bit, but people
need to get over the idea that "if I use Strong, then I don't have to know
anything about Hebrew/Greek to understand what the Bible says." What a sad
state we are in. I have come up against this on many occasions personally.
And I am disheartened every time.

Blessings to you, Peter...

Jason Hare
Missouri Southern State University
Joplin, MO
student of languages

Thank you, Jason.

To be fair to Strong, his scholarship was good for his time, early 19th century, and his Hebrew transliteration scheme is not too bad as an attempt to represent one tradition of pronunciation of Hebrew (not the modern Israeli one) for monolingual English speakers - i.e., to quote an example I found by chance, the syllable "-ale" should be pronounced like the English word "ale", which is a reasonable approximation for tsere-lamed.

But much better aids have been produced over the last 150 years. So if someone really can't learn Hebrew properly, they should use modern aids.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)