b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex YHWH-Holem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex YHWH-Holem
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:41:00 -0400

Concerning the holem being centered between
the right side of the vav
and the left side of the he
in YHWH at Genesis 3:14 in the Leningrad Codex,
Peter Kirk said

This is the typical position of holam in the Leningrad codex,
on any word,
not just the divine name,
and before any letter,
not just vav.

It is a later convention to shift holam to the left when followed by a
silent vav and sometimes a silent alef,
and to the right otherwise.

Dave asks Peter:

Isn't the holem shifted to the top right of the vav,
when the holem is followed by a silent vav.

In Joshua 1:1 in the BHS text,
the holem is placed at the top right of the vav in Yehowshua/Yehoshua.

The holem in effect follows the he,
and I thought that this holem was followed by a silent vav,
although by James Strong's convention,
he appears to write the silent vav as the "w" in Yehowshua
[e.g. Hebrew word #3091

Doesn't the "w" in James Strong's transliteration of Hebrew word #3091,
[by convention]
indicate a silent vav??????????

The KJV translates Numbers 13:16 as Jehoshua [not Jehowshua] .

Dave Donnelly