b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] lxx vorlage is mt vorlage is unpointed mt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>, "'BIblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] lxx vorlage is mt vorlage is unpointed mt
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:10:37 -0400

Philip asked:

> Since the LXX Vorlage is extinct, i.e. not extanct anymore, I am
> assuming that:
>
> The LXX vorlage (i.e. parent text) = the MT Vorlage= the unpointed MT.

> How realistic is this assumption?

Not realistic. To use just one argument with which I am familiar, some Dead
Sea Scrolls agree with the LXX rather than with the MT, showing that not all
differences between the LXX and MT can be attributed to mistranslation; some
are attributable to a Vorlage different from the MT. VanderKam points out
Exodus 1:5 in 4QExod a, Deut 32:8 in 4QDeut j, Jeremiah 10:3-11 in 4QJer b,
1 Sam 17:4 in 1QSam a.

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
Dead Sea Scrolls list owner,
http://mailman.McMaster.CA/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot