b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] lxx vorlage is mt vorlage is unpointed mt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philip Engmann" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>
  • To: "BIblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] lxx vorlage is mt vorlage is unpointed mt
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:05:55 +0100

My MPhil Course studies the differences between the LXX and the MT.

Since the LXX Vorlage is extinct, i.e. not extanct anymore, I am
assuming that:

The LXX vorlage (i.e. parent text) = the MT Vorlage= the unpointed MT.

I am making this assumption because in the 5th -10th centuries A.D. the
Massoretes merely pointed the existing unpointed Hebrew OT text. They
did not alter the consonants.

How realistic is this assumption?