b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John D Robinett" <jrobinett1 AT wi.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:20:42 -0500

Shalom,

I am stundying the E and J relations in the Pentatauch. JOhn Day made a
statement in regards to yhwh being qal rather than Cross's opnion that it is
causitive (hifil). He states that hwh is not attested in the Hifil in
Hebrew, unlike in Syriac. I have a basic (1 year) of Biblical Hebrew, and
just need to better understand this statement. WHat i think he is saying is
that hwh does not exist in the hifil in Hebrew. Can someone verify or
assist me in this? I know it is basic, but understanding that staement
fully is very important to continuing. Day uses Ex 3:14 as his proof of
yhwh being qal.

Thanks
John D Robinett