b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] m'odekha: strength or fanaticism?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] m'odekha: strength or fanaticism?
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:05:50 +0100

I hope I won't upset too many people by appealing to the New Testament here.
I do so only to illustrate how this Hebrew Bible verse, quoted there, was
understood in the first century CE. Of course the NT renderings of this
verse may be based on variant Hebrew, Greek or other MSS.

In the Hebrew and the LXX three items are mentioned here. There are partial
parallels with just two items, no ME'OD, in Deut 10:12 and Joshua 22:5. But
in some of the NT renderings there are four items, as follows:

Deut 6:5 LEBAB NEPE$ ME'OD
LXX A KARDIA YUCH (psuche) DUNAMIS
LXX Br DIANOIA YUCH DUNAMIS
Deut 10:12 LEBAB NEPE$
LXX KARDIA YUCH
Jos 22:5 LEBAB NEPE$
LXX A KARDIA YUCH
LXX B DIANOIA YUCH
Mat 22:37 KARDIA YUCH DIANOIA
Mk 12:30 KARDIA YUCH DIANOIA ISCUS
Mk 12:33 KARDIA SUNESIS ISCUS
Lk 10:25 KARDIA YUCH ISCUS DIANOIA

It is possible that DIANOIA "understanding, intention, attitude" has been
added or substituted because the gospel writers knew a Greek text like B
(Vaticanus) which used this word rather than the literal translation KARDIA,
although very likely they kept KARDIA because this was in the original
tradition of Jesus' words based on the Hebrew. This suggests that they used
ISCUS "strength, might" as a rendering of ME'OD, preferring it to DUNAMIS
"power". An alternative suggestion is that ME'OD was sometimes rendered
twice with DIANOIA as well as ISCUS, suggesting that both were included
within the contemporary understanding of ME'OD, but that seems less likely
than the explanation based on the LXX B variant.

Does this tell us anything? I think the main lesson is that there seems to
have been an understanding, within the land of Israel at a time when Hebrew
was still a living language, of ME'OD in terms of strength, which cannot
have been entirely dependent on LXX as a different Greek word is used. Of
course that doesn't rule out Michael's attractive suggestion for the
original sense of the Hebrew, but it makes it slightly less likely.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/