b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 32:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Levin, Yigal Y" <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: BruceKGardner AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 32:25
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:27:18 -0400

Hi all,

I have looked through some classic Jewish sources, and while my search has
not been very conclusive, I have found no talmudic refferemces to this
interpretation. The Targum Onkelos has "betil" for "parua(", that is
"stopped". Most of the later commentators understand that the people "had
stopped keeping God's commandments".
Sa'adiah Gaon's 10th century Arabic translation, however, has "uncovered".
Rashi, presumably independant of Sa'adiah, has "their shame was uncovered",
and Sforno has "it became uncovered/known (the same word in Hebrew) that
there were no pius men among them".
So Sa'adiah may wel of known of a tradition from the Land of Israel that they
were "uncovered", which Jerome had understood as literally naked, they took
for their "evil inclinations" being uncovered.

Yigal