b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 32:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Levin, Yigal Y" <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: mattfeld12 AT charter.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 32:25
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:09:20 -0400

Walter,

The Hebrew word used here is Parua(, which means "wild". The NRSV, "When
Moses saw that the people were running wild (for Aaron had let them run wild,
to the derision of their enemies)", is fairly close. The RSV's "shame" is
based on the KJV's "naked", which I assume is based on the Latin, but I don't
have the text with me right now. In any case, it's an interpretation, not a
literal translation.

Yigal