b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 32:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "SCOTT, PETER" <peter.scott AT bell.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 32:25
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:52:26 -0400

Walter,

Does the RSV say "Aaron had let them BREAK LOOSE TO THEIR SHAME" or does it
say "Aaron had let them BREAK LOOSE, 'TO THEIR SHAME among their enemies'".

And Yigal, would the RSV "to their shame among their enemies" be very
different from the NRSV "to the derision of their enemies"?

The English structure ties "their shame" to their condition in relation to
their enemies, all the result of having broken loose (which is not a whole
lot different from running wild).

I found and on-line bible at this site - for what it's worth:

http://www.netbible.com

32:25 And Moses saw that the people were running wild,1 for Aaron had let
them get out of control, to the derision from their enemies.2

1 The word is difficult to interpret. There does not seem to be enough
evidence to justify the older translation "naked." It appears to mean
something like "let loose" or "lack restraint" (Prov 29:18). The idea seems
to be that the people had broken loose, were undisciplined, and were
completely given over to their desires.
2 These last two words read literally "for a whispering among those who
rose up against them." The foes would have mocked and derided them when they
heard that they abandoned the God who led them out of Egypt (Driver, p. 354).

Have a good day.

Peter E Scott
Toronto, Canada