b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 8:8 - the pen of the scribes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: schmuel AT escape.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 8:8 - the pen of the scribes
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:05:07 -0500

Steven:

You are quite right to look at “sheker” as the reason for the NAS and other
newer translations. The basic meaning of “sheker” is “deceptive” and I read
the context, including the following verses, as indicating that the deceptive
part is that the people are not following the very law that they are claiming
is with them, the law that is the reason for claiming that they are wise. But
I would hesitate using the word “lie” as does NAS, for it could be a case of
self-deception or deception based on ignorance first.

A very similar passage is Romans 2:17–25 and Paul could very well have been
thinking of this passage when writing Romans.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.