b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Throne KS) Isa 6:1, Ezek. 1:26,10:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Throne KS) Isa 6:1, Ezek. 1:26,10:1
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 23:13:07 -0700

KS) Throne characteristics in theophanies e.g., Isa 6:1, Ezek. 1:26,10:1

I am reading an argument in a monograph* which spends a lot of time talking
about the throne in a theophany. I am trying to find out what this throne
might have looked like, particularly if it had arm rests and if so how wide
would they be.

The depictions I have seen of thrones from the Ancient Near East often are
either stools with no back or arms, or chairs without arms. I found one with
arms but they looked narrow, same thickness as the legs. I wasn't able to
find any hard data on thrones with wide arm rests. What I am specifically
looking for is any evidence that the divine throne in a theophany would have
had a wide surface suitable for supporting an object like a scroll.

Can anyone help me with this? Negative evidence is welcome. Trying to read
this monograph with a critical eye.

Thanks,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*The Background and Meaning of the Sealed Book of Revelation 5 (Andrews
University Seminary Doctoral Dissertation Series), Ranko Stefanovic .
Andrews University, 1996