b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Throne KS) Isa 6:1, Ezek. 1:26,10:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Throne KS) Isa 6:1, Ezek. 1:26,10:1
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 23:29:18 -0700

on 5/3/03 6:01 PM, Ben and Jo Crick wrote:

> The early Church understood the divine Throne in Ezekiel as a symbol of the
> Glory of God. They compared it with the Laver of Solomon's Temple, described
> in 1 Kings 7. This huge portable laver was a triumph of engineering, a
> huge bronze bowl supported on four stout pedestals polished mirror-bright,
> and each equipped with castor-like wheels that could roll in any direction
> without turning.

Ben,

Yes I see several points of contact between the Ezekiel scene and the 1st
Kings 7:27ff description of the stands which held the basins. There are the
chariot wheels, cherubim, lions. I was a little hard pressed to find a
picture of this but I did find one in well known reference work* that every
OT student probably has in his library :-) The depiction I found shows very
little detail on the stands, the wheels are not spoked. Did the chariots
have four wheels? One or two excellent representations of Cherubim in the
style that Walter would appreciate.

Thanks Ben, this did help.

Clay

*Tigerman, Stanley
  The Architecture of Exile
  New York: Rizzoli, 1988.

This book has dozens of drawings of the different OT temples. Here is a
description of it:

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point