b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:27:33 -0500

Dear Ian,
I disagree that the people of pre-Exilic Judah were
polytheistic. I don't know that the figurines represented
Ashera or that they were worshipped. I don't know who
wrote the grafitti on the Kuntillit Adjrud pithoi. I can tell
you tho that there was only one matzevah at Arad, the
other one you see in all the photos was part of the wall
and had fallen into the cella area.
All the polemics that you read in Ezekiel, etc. are just their
way of explaining the disasters. The temple was captured,
the people deported -- ERGO they must have worshipped
other gods.
liz