b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: mshields AT mail.usyd.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:03:04 EST

In a message dated 2/25/2003 11:37:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mshields AT mail.usyd.edu.au writes:

> Furthermore, if a unity has been identified in the final composition, does
> this not undermine the basis for DH which originated in the supposed lack
> of
> unity in the final form of the redacted documents? To rephrase from the
> above:
>
> >From a literary-critical point of view the overall disunity of the
> composition may be attributed to the schema imposed upon the final material
> by the modern form critics.

Au contraire, mon frére. The form-critic does not impose any disunity but
discerns how disparate units came to be conjoined. The form-critic may not
so specifically deal with the documents of the DH, but rests upon the results
of textual criticism. In other words, for form-critics the DH is a given.

gfsomsel